Midnight snacks are the scourge of many dieters’ existence. Even though they’ve eaten healthy all day long, they find it nearly impossible to lose weight because their evenings are tainted by late-night freezer raids for ice cream or 1 AM microwavable burritos and frozen pizzas. The good news is that it only takes 8 or 9 days to break the habit; and once the habit is broken, cravings go down by about 75 percent.
Here are a few helpful strategies to get you there…
- Drink a glass of water or cup of herbal tea to distract yourself from the idea of eating.
- Learn to tell the difference between actual hunger and boredom or mindless snacking.
- If you are still hungry 10 minutes later, then choose a healthy snack.
- Focus on consuming smaller meals every few hours, rather than three large meals.
- Make sure you are on an established eating schedule, not chowing down erratically.
- Brush your teeth and use a strong mouthwash after dinner to deter more eating.
- An apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter
- Whole grain popcorn with parmesan cheese
- Rice cake with cashew butter
- A turkey sandwich on whole grain bread
- Chocolate milk
- Veggies & low-fat ranch
- Low-fat yogurt
- Baked sweet potato fries
Healthy, Low-Fat Midnight Snacks Include…
Do You Have An Overeating Syndrome?
To be diagnosed with an evening overeating syndrome, you must…
- Wake up in the night with the sudden need to eat,
- Consumer at least 25 percent of your daily calories after dinner, and
- Suffer 3 or more nighttime eating episodes a week.
In these rare cases, your doctor may prescribe medication or recommend cognitive behavioral therapy to stop the midnight cravings.
Image by threefingeredlord