10 Tips on How to Eat, Drink, Stay Healthy (and possibly lose a few pounds) During the Holidays
- If you eat breakfast and lunch and snack before you go to a holiday dinner.. you will eat less (don’t save your calories).
- Find lean protein and green veggies and you will always be safe.
- Drink clear distilled alcohol: vodka, clear rum, tequila, sake, rather than wine.. you will not gain weight.
- Use low-fat dressing, not fat free (loaded with salt, sugar and chemicals).
- Eat complex starch (avoid all white starches) in small portion: sweet potato, brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, etc.
- Follow the 70/30 guideline; 70 percent of your meal should be lean, and green, then 30% should be everything else.
- Do aerobic exercise for at least 30-40 mins before or after your holiday meals. (You will burn most of your extra calories)
- Only eat dairy products in the morning, dairy does not metabolize well…
- When travelling bring your own healthy snacks, so you are not tempted by random foods that will not help you.
- Carry a protein bar with you, if you are not sure what foods will be served, ie: Thin Thin bar 20gms Protein, 220 Cal, or a Clif Builders bar, 20 gms of protein, 270 calories, or a South Beach Fit bar, 140 cal, 8 gms of protein, or a Zone Perfect bar, 210 cal or 190 cal, 10 gms of protein.
Image by Urban Woodswalker